Monday 20 September 2010

Haste makes waste.


Weds.05.04.06.  By 8.30am Chris had phoned to ask me to bring a detailed sander but also, if possible, to buy two more adjustable trestles stands from ‘Aldi’. The extra stands would enable the body tub to be positioned directly next to the chassis enabling work to continue on both elements simultaneously. I arrived back at Westmead to find him ecstatic at the prospect of tackling the first serious assessment of the chassis. Regrettably, he also stated that the rigours of the trip to Sheffield had left him totally stressed, so much so that his doctor had recommended that he increased his medication to counteract his current high blood pressure to protect his, already, fragile health. 
As I began to assemble the new stands I suddenly realised that I was fast running short of time if I was to meet the deadline of my journey south. As a result, I cut my thumb on the Stanley knife that I was using to unwrap the box. The blood flowed everywhere, shite. Immediately, Chris mentioned that “haste makes waste” and that “more haste, less speed”; surprisingly these golden rules had escaped me at the same time as the basic rule of, “always cut away from your self”. But, even explaining that I was not a child but an experienced craftsperson, Chris remained most unimpressed. 
The stands completed we lifted the chassis in place. It did look quite excellent as it rested there waiting for the ‘laying on’ of expert hands. 
Around 2.0pm Jo and I departed for London to stay with Gemma and Paul and then onto France for a well-earned Easter break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment