Friday 14 October 2011

Determination or wind

Mon.13.08.07. As I suspected the configuration of dash and console failed to accomplish total approval, my efforts being immediately carved up until Colin’s model bizarrely emerged from the remnants of scrap cardboard, MDF and tape. After three hours of locking horns a solution gradually emerged. By gentle persuasion, stubbornness or, more likely, simply ignoring every hint, wheedled argument, disguised proposition, implied suggestion my design became inexplicably suitable: we, therefore, had returned full circle to my primary intended proposals. With a touch more rounding off, softening, sympathetic tweaking we shall realize an agreeable, compatible, organic, potentially, sexy image. This indeed will be ‘le coeur de la voiture’. This incident reminded me so much of my daughter’s dog, ‘Tommy’. Always a sociable friendly individual he will gallop towards any other like minded critter to exchange enthusiastic tail wags, nose-arse sniffs, except when a larger aggressive beast attempts to dominate. Tommy handles this situation by pretending that the loud mouthed bully does not exist, he becomes selectively dumb and blind to trot on his merry way completely ignoring the intrusive unwanted demands: what an intuitive smart animal.
If nothing else I have become personally protective, quietly determined about the direction of this element of the vehicle. I have confidence in my ability to ‘design and make’ an exciting, professional interior compatibly embracing all the other stimulating ingredients of the vehicle. The ultimate finished product will possess genuine suitability with honest integrity because I ‘understand’ the car; it is not just another ‘job’.  

Tues.14.08.07. After all my boasting I now have to put my money where my mouth is, construct the ‘best dashboard and console in the world’. I have bought the timber, I have the patterns, all that remains is to cut and make the units precisely producing a more than ‘acceptable’ complete article. Having cut two left hand console sides by mistake, I had to visit Savoy Timbers, yet again, to buy replacement timber. Maybe, I am a tosser after all.
Meanwhile, Chris has been preparing the groundwork for the expected arrival tomorrow of Colin. He intends to fabricate the bumper chassis brackets and also conclude the assembly of the exhaust system. Earlier in the day I had purchased two sets of axle stands to raise the chassis and tub from the floor. They should facilitate the access to all operational areas. Abex Power Components have provided a bearing arrangement that will be fitted to the bulkhead providing an angled rigid exit for the steering rod. An additional ‘Hardy Spicer’ located 30cms from the bearing will also offer supplementary secure movement to the steering rack.
Without becoming over excited, I have felt that the labour of today has given a legitimate lift to the project. We have been treading water for some time but by the end of the day Chris does seem to have regained his enthusiasm talking in his familiar animated manner about ‘out doing’ Colin. “I’ll tell you what; if Brockie doesn’t pitch up tomorrow I’ll make these friggin’ brackets myself; that’ll show him!” It is a sure indication that when Chris rediscovers his competitive rivalry with Colin the sun shines brighter, the halcyon days are returning. Fingers crossed.     

No comments:

Post a Comment