Sunday 3 October 2010

Stoneleigh 2006


I wandered out of the hall with the sole purpose of returning to the Burlington stand. Trudging from the exhibition halls, passing the neatly cordoned off ‘register’ stands I persisted in my quest to snap off endless photos of radiator grills, bonnet catches, interior trim, dashboards, side screens and windscreens. Arriving at the pitch I found three miserable Berrettas with only one owner present. He had been coming to shows for the last 15 years modestly exhibiting this wreck of a car; he hadn’t seen Haydn Davies for 20 years. Furthermore, he understood that the register had closed having not received a newsletter for five years, but lastly, and more importantly he had not seen an SS in 7 years. My feeling was that they are all possibly dead or rotting away, untouched in some lockup, confirming that mine is even more unique. Now who’s the smug bastard?     
        
I left the show around 4.00pm. It has been a very fruitful day. I am loaded down with brochures, business cards, price sheets and posters all to be collated when I am refreshed. Essentially, I have sorted the wheat from the chaff, made some worthwhile contacts and have bought some excellent fittings for the car. Driving north the motorways were free of traffic; I risked the hood down on the Saab, but having frozen my nuts off by Birmingham I decided to replace it. I arrived home at 6.30pm truly excited about my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment