Thursday 14 October 2010

There is such a concept; Bad Publicity

Fri.05.05.06. The Lancashire Evening Post had hoped to see the car along with an interview with Chris and I around lunchtime, but Chris determined this would be unwise. He was concerned that the car was not ready for anyone to see just yet and felt that I could deal with the reporter and photographer probably better at my house. When Christina Woods phoned to discuss the project of the re-build together with the Beaujolais run, I informed her of the change of plan suggesting that the photographic material from 1981 would be more appropriate plus several images from the present dismantling of the vehicle particularly at the picturesque location of David’s farm. She agreed, but enquired if I minded if Frank Orrell popped down to take a head shot of me for the paper. Frank duly arrived asking politely about the background to the venture. He ‘reeled’ me in like a cunning old fisherman, or, which was more likely ‘a sceptical old hack’, with his phoney interest in the project, suckering me into holding a glass of wine to my face for the shot. “I don’t suppose you have any spanners?” requested Frank. “Of course”, I stupidly replied. I had fallen into the trap once more. There I stood in the garden with spanners in one hand and a glass of wine in the other, complete cheese. Jo was pissing herself by now as I flinched with every shot. Christina actually did phone later for the story. I went into raptures about the new build vehicle and how 25 years on we couldn’t wait to repeat the run again. As the interview continued there seemed less about the car and more about how emotional it must be for me with all of these fond memories of past dear friends, growing old, losing hair, budding broken veins, worn out, creaking bones etc…This was another tuttle, I am now sure that the substance of the article as well as the stupidly banal photograph will elevate me to the position of local arsehole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment