Friday 4 February 2011

Blame, guilt, retribution.

Tues.05.09.06. Colin Brockbank has been recalled to re-weld the rear of the chassis checking also for any other minor faults that have been missed. His work is always of a very high standard (apart from screwing up the scuttle), meticulous and effective. Colin also suggested a possible modification regarding the location and mounting of the engine. 
The reversal of the suspension turrets allows the drive train of the car to be moved back approximately 20cms dependent upon where the spacers are located. They were originally positioned within the frame of the turrets, which moved the engine back only 8cms: by fixing the spacers behind the turrets this would shift the entire drive train even more towards the centre of the car. The extent of this movement is also determined by the rear section of the engine compartment which prevents the bell housing from travelling any further. This modification would alter the weight distribution of the car. The more central the drive unit is located, the greater the effect it has upon the handling plus the balance of the car. The bulk of the weight will then be behind the front suspension making the steering of the car lighter and more responsive. The mounting brackets that support the engine will be secured by fixed shrouded bolts that pass through the original location points on the turrets. These will be welded to form a strong and permanent platform on which to hang the engine.
When I arrived at Westmead I was met with an air of excitement as all of these potential improvements had already been discussed together with the renewed enthusiasm to fit an overdrive gearbox. I must confess the advantages of a lower revving car on the beautiful sweeping roads of France sounds very attractive, certainly very practical. However, I was rapidly brought back down to earth when, after close scrutiny, the short comings of the engine panels were exposed. To save time I had in fact crudely fabricated these in my cellar instead of passing them on to Richie as promised. “Fuck me Colin, look at the state of this edge, it’s all over the place, was Richie pissed when he cut these? He’s not even rounded the corners, these are shite, it doesn’t look like the same bloke who made the prototypes, has done these, they are fuckin’ awful!” I instantly intervened, offering to take them back so that they could be re-cut (this time actually by Richie) but Chris was happier, for at least the next fifteen minutes, condemning the poor workmanship. This plunged me into the ‘slough of despond’. Not only had I claimed that Richie was responsible for the work I didn’t even have the bottle to ‘fess up’ to the deception. 
The more that Chris ranted on about the panels the more I felt guilty, truly ashamed. I began to experience ‘body shutdown’, a la Mad John’, timidly withdrawing shamefaced into a corner. Chris quickly recognised my depression but wrongly assumed it was due to the addition of even more alterations emanating in more delays, which in turn would prevent the car would from being completed before the Beaujolais run. Little does he know that I have already accepted the impossibility of the time frame: my immediate mood was born out of worthlessness and self-pity.
Today has been a very low point. My sloppy workmanship has been thoroughly exposed but to my discredit I have cowardly rested the blame onto a good friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment