Tuesday 15 February 2011

Rubbing down with 80's

Tues.12.09.06. I have spoken to Jean Beaver at the Manchester branch of the DVLA requesting a copy of my logbook, registration certificate, so that I can show a potential buyer proof of ownership. This is of course is bullshit, but I explained that if this person did not want to purchase the car I would inform them of the outcome.
I can then arrange for the car to be inspected. I assumed that once I had made the request to the DVLA the process would take approximately six weeks. This is not strictly correct. It is reliant upon their inspectors being in the area: they could, in actuality, inspect within one week. This would make the juggling of the time frame much easier. I could delay making the phone call for yet another month. I am not entirely confident that this is a good or a bad option; we are already procrastinating with the project. Another excuse for a tardy completion date is not really desirable. 
However, Jean appeared very helpful and she promises to post a copy of my log book directly in the post. I shall not open a tin of chunks, or inform Chris, until I have it in my grubby, oil stained hands. 
Just when I thought all the rubbing down was complete Chris welcomed me with a piece of 80’s paper and asked if I could give the underside of the wings a ‘quick rub’. All of the small blemishes under the wings need to be removed in order that the primer and final painted surface remains smooth without pitting or fragments of glass fibre.
It’s a bloody horrible job but it does ensure that the underside of the wings do not harbour any road dirt that cannot be easily washed off. I was rescued later in the day by my insistence that the order for Rimmer Brothers must be dispatched. It was necessary to speak to Martin to confirm the top line price but also corroborate the definitive list. Having spoken to Martin earlier Chris had built up a certain rapport with someone who he regarded as knowledgeable about the subject. 

No comments:

Post a Comment