Thursday 19 July 2012

Carpets


Weds.20.08.08. Haydn Davies has responded to my e’mail requesting a further three badges to brand the car. He is having a problem with the smelting process but endeavours to complete the task by the end of the week. All the parts from Paddocks have arrived as expected Chris has spent the morning diligently assembling the missing pieces. He is suddenly realising that the car is fast approaching completion: every small addition is having a huge impact on the whole.
I have visited Coverdale’s carpets at Hindley Green to initially buy a can of aerosol adhesive that should keep the side sections of carpet in place. The borders on the floor carpets are usually trimmed in vinyl as opposed to leather. The material is more malleable, slightly thinner, being also resistant to cracking; so, for all of these reasons is the preferred finish. 
By choosing this fabric it also means that I don’t need to call on Michael, from Mars, to collect the remnants of the leather. God only knows which planet he has been visiting since I last saw him; I don’t think I could tolerate another experience of ‘vulcan mind exchange ’.  But I do feel that a complementary colour to the carpet would be more appropriate than the exact match of the leather avoiding the ‘crass’ and ‘cheesy’ look.

Quite by chance, via Brabbin and Rudd, I have stumbled across the perfect suppliers of ‘rubber hose’ which will be a better alternative to the pipe cladding that we have used for the cockpit trim. It is a reinforced rubber tubing normally used in the hydraulics industry. The sizes are ideal ranging from 19mm, 22mm and 25mm. I would guess the larger size would be perfect for the dashboard area whilst the narrower sections could be used for the cockpit edgings.
Further measuring and mocking up will be necessary before I plunge into buying too much. I have learned to be cautious when ordering loose amounts of ‘goods’. “You can never have enough, buy it when you can because it will always be handy”, doesn’t sit too well with me any more. I recall the advice of my grammar school economics teacher warning the class that “Mr Coleman has made his millions from the mustard left on his customers plates”. The only aspect of this advice is why it has taken me so long to realise how true it actually is.

No comments:

Post a Comment