Thursday 5 July 2012

Contrite


Weds.07.05.08. Alan, of Catterall and Wood, assures me that he is able to cut a circular piece of Stainless steel that will form the base plate supporting the spare wheel on the exterior panel of the boot. He is limited to a depth of 3mm suggesting also that there may be some warping when the metal flexes back. This could be easily overcome by securing the plate using four substantial 6mm bolts. The laser cut can leave a very sharp edge but again after grinding and polishing this can be softened. When reporting this information to Chris I was quite surprised to find him a tad contrite after his outburst last night. “You must understand that I’m all over the place these days with the kitchen and everything, I just ‘kick off’ for no reason at all; but listen, we must get organised with the project; you must get all of these parts ordered, the missing components collected, don’t just sit back and let it happen!” Well, I suppose that was the closest to an apology I am ever likely to receive.
I had promised Richie that I would visit the workshop to see the results of darkening the ‘Motalita’ steering wheel in an attempt to match the dashboard and other wooden trim. I was not disappointed; the richness of the dash was now reflected in the wheel, being an almost perfect match. All that remains is a final light rubbing down and the combination will be complete. Richie has definitely worked his magic with this timber, the effort involved developing this aspect of the car has proven to be all the more worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment