Saturday 13 October 2012

Castor and Camber


Sat.11.07.09. It has been necessary to touch base once more with Max of Totally Triumph. Surprisingly amicable he took me into the darker recesses of his workshop where he instantly laid his gnarly hands on the front and rear suspension shims that I required. I had instantly opened the door for one of his ‘here sayeth the Lord’ soliloquies, after I had explained the reason for the request. “You must always have odd numbers of shims on front suspension unit. For example 3 on the back, 2 on the front, keep a differential of 1 all the time. This will affect not just the camber but the castor as well. It is better to have either 1 degree negative or at most neutral on the front. 
On the rear only have perhaps one eighth or one quarter of an inch on a drop test of negative, in other words 1.5 degrees. Never have larger wheels than 4.5 J’s or tyres greater than 155 to obtain maximum handling, forget those fuckin’ big wheels that those fuckers at Jigsaw always recommend, the car will just spin, they know fuck all about real Triumphs. Believe me, that is how the car should be set up!” Listening intently in an attempt to compute all of this information I had almost forgotten that we needed 2x 13lbs radiator caps, but as before Max scooped up a pair of brand new units.
I left with 8 front and 4 rear shims plus the caps for £10.00. Max had the last word, “Bring the car down, I’ll have a look, if you want, but don’t forget what I have told you, camber and castor are very important!”  
Later in the Oak the sermon was passed on, chapter and verse, to Chris, who calmly responded with, “He’s wrong, his logic is shite, but I know where he’s coming from.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment