Sunday 14 October 2012

Road Tests



                                  Burlington Diary August 2009.

Tues.18.08.09. I have returned to find the car has been tweaked a little using the shims to level the suspension at the rear as well as the front wheels. The car is ready for road testing but still must be tracked.
But, the most important news has been the return of my log book with the correct description of ‘Triumph Convertible’ boldly inscribed on the first page. Sami Femi had been good as his word and passed the vehicle; I feel a tin of chunks being opened already. Unfortunately, when I went to claim my free tax the DVLA had not included the words ‘historic vehicle’ so I had a second trip to the office in Preston to have the document amended. I had been there the previous day in the hope of transferring my cherished plate but I was informed that this was impossible since the donor vehicle did not have a present MOT or tax. Bummer.

Weds.19.08.09. Chris recommends that the Burlington should be road tested: given this advice I proceeded down the M6 to my mother’s house to show off the vehicle. Unluckily on my return, as I was travelling up the slip road at Standish, there was an horrendous grinding, clanking noise that coincided with the rotation of the prop shaft. With the gearbox firmly rooted in fourth I managed to limp into Shevington Moor, the clutch smoking from the strain. This was a disaster; the car had run so well after the re-tweaking. The gear stick was floppy, unattached, feeling just like drunkard’s cock. After a quick call to Chris I was instructed to lift the tunnel to inspect the inevitable damage. Sure enough the connecting rod had become disconnected from the box; the nut and bolt were nowhere to be seen. 
I could re-engage the rod but could not change gear as the joint needed securing before any movement could be achieved. Typically, there had been a 10mm spanner abandoned in the cockpit but unfortunately I could not locate any nut or bolt that could be removed to replace the lost fastener. A flash of inspiration led me to remove one of the ignition keys which then could be forced into the joint thus locking the rod into the female: removing the leather belt from my jeans the connecting rod could be raised preventing any dangerous contact with the prop. I was then able to engage second gear which enabled me to return safely to Westmead. The complete repair was formally undertaken in the workshop to delight of Chris. Hopefully there has been very little damage to the clutch; I also feel that Chris was more than a little surprised at my inventive enterprise. “You see, I’ve taught you well!”
Later that same afternoon a visit to ‘Michael’ from Mars proved successful, as he confirmed that he will take the car next week to fashion the ‘purpose designed’ tonneau cover. Not a bad day after all.

Thurs.20.08.09. Lisa from the DVLA in Swansea informs me that if I take both registration documents, as well as the form V317, a fee of £80.00 together with a letter explaining that the donor vehicle has not been taxed since 1984, and as such is basket case that does not require a ‘SORN’, to the Manchester office they may allow me to transfer the cherished plate without seeing the vehicle. Perhaps they are not all bad at the DVLA?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That car can drive! And it’s a vintage one too. I like how you tweaked it and made it stylish, yet stay true to its vintage roots. Seeing as it still needs repairs, I am sure you can do it! I would buy a lot of vintage cars for my collection since they look rather cool. I can’t help it if I am a little bit old school. LOL!

    Kerstin Shed

    ReplyDelete