Tuesday 24 May 2011

Marking Time

Mon.06.11.06. Another poor start to the week. The rear hubs have been cleaned and rust proofed. The bell housing has also been polished and is now ready to accept the clutch.
It is time for another list; whether it is used or not. 
Tues.07.11.06. There has been no work on the car today. It is a worrying time. 
Weds.08.11.06. A visit to Paddocks may kick start the project again. There was a refund on returned goods of £61.23 but a final bill of £78.19. This has included new hubs at £54.00, a gearlever bush kit at £25.30, a timing chain kit at £9.00, a fuel pump at £13.50, a core plug set at £3.15 and various nuts and bolts for the front and rear suspension.
Perhaps a break from the rebuild may rekindle the necessary appetite to finish the car. I am going to London to see Gemma and Paul. I shall return on Sunday. We have also planned an important trip on the 16th. to France to shake up the bastards over there who promised faithfully to ‘look after my bike and garage my precious AX. I have a strong suspicion that neither of these assurances has not happened. So what’s new.      
Sat.11.11.06. Whilst staying with Gemma, Paul and I took in a visit to Brooklands racetrack, near Weybridge, Surrey. This has rekindled my enthusiasm to continue the project but with a slightly different perspective. The almost whimsical, jumbled, assembly of old, traditionally painted, unique race cars, corrugated steel and timber clad workshops, aged, craggy, oil soaked but enthusiastic knowledgeable volunteers, various collections of rusting, primitive, well worn hand tools and the simple glorious presence of this historically renowned site has clarified my mind to focus upon the real importance, pure necessity along with the authentic credibility of our labours. It has made my resolve even stronger that the Burlington will be finished especially thoughtfully, carefully and determinedly to the highest possible specification. 
I also noticed, whilst in London, that there was not one single male person sporting a moustache. I have, recently, convinced myself that the moustache that I have proudly groomed for the past 30 years is now redundant. Witnessing every clean face in the metropolis has persuaded me to lose the tash; it has never been so true that only gays and Wiganners have moustaches.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment