Tuesday 4 September 2012

Best grub.


Sat.06.12.08. The Doc and Mick had returned early in the afternoon from their travels. None had become aware of the ‘elephant in the box’ so I did not need to explain my reckless contribution. They had been feasting on a variety of cheeses and wines from the hamper of spoils that they had pillaged from the land. They were not making a great deal of sense by 5.30. As it turned out the itinerary had taken them on a circular route, first to Whitby on the east coast, back over the snowy Pennines to Penrith, Keswick, Kendal and finally last night to Ampleforth. They had eaten the best food in the best places; both were determined that the break was not over. “I’ll tell you somefink, you couldn’t buy betta stuff than we’ve ‘ad this week, not even in fackin’ London. Fackin’ oystas, lobstas an’ scallops, we’ve even ‘ad crabs” swanked Mick. “Mind you, it all depends what mix of clothes you’ve got in the washing machine, how long they are in and at what temperature” theorised Doc. It was time to go home.

Sun.07.12.08. To my shock and horror Jo and I went down to the Oak to watch the Sunday afternoon band but who should be propping up the bar but Joe Berry. He was wearing an identical leather jacket that I bought as a personal birthday present, 2 weeks ago in TK Maxx. I had bought it specifically to wear whilst driving the Burlington. Brown soft zip up fur collar: it was perfect. They only had two in the store so what kind of coincidence is that. I have not worn it yet thinking of only using it when the car is on the road. If it had been a stranger, even a skanky from Platt Wazz or Lower Ince I wouldn’t have minded so much but because it is Joe who is a regular in the Oak, it’s a disaster. This is another moral dilemma, pride versus common sense. I suppose the bottom line would be whether or not I really like the jacket, perhaps also, if I had seen some low life degenerate wearing it would it have put me off even more. The guilt of buying something that I really do not actually need is also gnawing away generating feelings of extravagance ‘have I not spent enough on the car as it is’..etc? Luckily I have kept the receipt, labels along with the other additional tags but when I checked these were only valid up to the 6th. which was yesterday, bummer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment