Saturday 3 November 2012

Tilting screen




                                                                    May 2010



Thurs.20.05.10. Prior to my last visit to France I had ordered the ‘Minilite’ wheels from Russell 4x5.5x15 inch plus centres and studs at a cost of £493.00. Whilst in the ‘Intermarche’ supermarket in Montchanin he called to say that the goods were ready for dispatch. Upon my return I initiated the transaction: the wheels have arrived today at Westmead, Chris is quietly excited since the purchase of these components would always signal a possible conclusion to the project. Last night in the Oak we formulated the final definitive programme, or at least made a ‘stab’ at it.
Also, Lowtie accompanied by Doctor Dave had been fishing during the afternoon at Kirkby Steven: the proof of which lay in a dishevelled blue chiller bag which contained a brace of ‘wild brown trout’, one of the fish being quite an impressive three and a half pounds.
Sat.22.05.10. I have been racking up the miles during this glorious 28 degree weather, so much so that I decided that the folding screen should be tested, folded down so that I could enjoy the fresh air. Pulling in to the car park at the bottom of Gathurst I concluded that, since I had a cache of tools in the boot I should perform the simple operation of ‘tilting’ the screen by the roadside. All the precautions of slackening the retaining nuts, not to force but gently turn the screen, carefully engaging the mechanism were all considered but nonetheless I succeeded in cracking the fucking thing splintering shards of glass across the bonnet. Feeling just like the ultimate ‘arsehole’ I removed the shattered unit intending to return home to desperately search out the aero screens thus replacing the full screen for a more appropriate alternative. Typically I could not find the retaining screws which would enable their assembly: the vehicle has since been shut away from prying eyes.
There will be no confession; I shall merely take the screen back to Reg Caldwell who will fit new glass. End of, no one else need know.  

No comments:

Post a Comment