Monday 10 December 2012

After 5 years of build the run begins


Sat.16.07.11. Today is ‘D’ day, I need to drive down to Walton, following Gemma, Jo, Sam and Alex. Their brief visit, to see dad in the Stewart assessment centre Peasley Cross, this weekend lifted everyone’s spirits. The boys were wonderfully active not at all fazed by dad’s gaunt appearance. By late afternoon the relentless rain had stopped and I felt that it would be the best opportunity to set off for the south of England.

The Burlington is ready, after 5 years of toil, to make the inaugural trip to France. I feel subdued hardly elated as the project has somewhat fizzled out. Chris has shown total indifference, which I still cannot fathom, I still promote my blog but magazine interest has faded, there is not a publisher in sight. Nevertheless, the trip will go ahead at approximately 3 pm, without fuss or even a send off from the Oak. The poor weather has become a worrying problem. 
It is impossible to drive in the rain without wipers or side protection. The first part of the journey must be achieved if ‘Dover’ is to be reached for the 12 noon ferry crossing on Sunday. I am in the hands of the ‘Gods’.

‘Mileage on the Burlington is 1805klms: I needed to wait until 3.30 before setting off for Walton. Gemma, Jo, Sam and Alex had left around 10.00am. The weather for the day was forecast has being grim but I managed to avoid the rain- the worst had passed. 
The Burlington ran smoothly at 90klms all the way down the M6, M42, M40, M25, to junction 13 the A30 for Staines. There had been no holdups, 2 fills of gas. The anxiety of the inaugural journey all left behind I felt relieved but also elevated arriving at 7.30. It had been a very smooth ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment