Saturday 8 December 2012

The dry, wet run


Sun.10.07.11. On Saturday at the Oak I approached Chris with the suggestion that I could pick him up on Sunday morning to simulate a photo shoot outside the pub to simulate the beginning of the run through France. I had previously confirmed with David that there would not be any local ‘Church’ traffic at 10am so the coast would be clear to stage the shots. On Sunday, I called around 9.30 but he declined the offer, nevertheless I drove up to Westmead to show him the freshly polished vehicle, possibly for the last time. 
Typically, Chris mentioned that he and Colin would like to go out in the car Monday or Tuesday; obviously I agreed but reminded him of the final tasks that I had planned before departure on Saturday. I had no sooner left when I was swamped by a fierce thunderstorm, but luckily found some shelter under trees on Green lane. Because I had been polishing the car to death I had not re-fitted the tonneau. In an attempt to prevent the rain damaging the carpets and leather I used anything that I could lay my hands on to cover as much as I could but with little success. Top tip, never use the car without a tonneau. 
When the downpour subsided I limped back to Marylebone with the problem of sodden upholstery.
The service undertaken by Derek was carried out on Tuesday as scheduled: the gearbox oil levels verified by Wednesday. I had cut an access hole for the filler plug but his proved useless as once the protective cover in the engine bay was removed it was easily checked. The snag list has been completed along with another G3 ‘cut’ and a wax glaze, nuts have been tightened, the carpets dried.
I have not heard from Chris all week; I had made both Monday and Tuesday afternoons available but he had not called to confirm either of the dates.

No comments:

Post a Comment